The MLS Cup Playoffs are underway as of this writing (Houston is up 1-0), so I wanted to begin with playoff predictions for each conference semifinal series. In addition, I’ll throw in a few other juicy predictions to add some fun.
Sporting Kansas City vs. Houston Dynamo
- The Obvious: Houston will be furious after Roger Espinoza is not given a red card at some point during the series.
- The Bold: This series won’t be close.
- The Result: Sporting wins in a laugher 4-1.
DC United vs. New York Red Bulls
- The Obvious: Dwayne De Rosario is mentioned at least 75 times during the broadcast of these two matches.
- The Bold: Thierry Henry has at least one multi-goal match.
- The Result: New York overcomes DC and Hurricane Sandy to win 3-2.
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Los Angeles Galaxy
- The Obvious: The absurd, “Why isn’t Wondolowski on the national team?” discussion happens on the broadcast of both matches.
- The Bold: Landon Donovan has a great series against his old team, scoring at least twice.
- The Result: Los Angeles wins a close battle 3-2.
Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle Sounders
- The Obvious: The series will play as a wide open slugfest between two great teams.
- The Bold: Ricardo Salazar referees one of the matches.
- The Result: Real Salt Lake wins 2-1 on the strength of a 2-0 win at Rio Tinto.
- Bonus Bold Prediction: The winner of this series wins MLS Cup.